Clock is ticking 2 am, turning sides, checking clock after every 15 minutes. Don’t mistake it as love, it has other serious symptoms. It’s you having problem of sleepless nights. It could be because of many reasons like health issues, anxiety, aging, change in your work schedule and many others. INSOMNIA is term used to describe the problem of staying asleep. According to the National Center for Sleep Disorders Research, up to 40% of the population experiences signs of insomnia every year. Good sleeping habits can help but not to that extent. Different sleeping patterns are observed among people of different ages. Older people go to sleep early and wake up earlier than younger people. Due to hormonal changes sleeping patterns varies.
AGE RELATED SLEEPING PROBLEMS:
After certain age you find it difficult to fall asleep. There could be many reasons for this like:
With age, your body may not feel so strong and active or even you may face problems of arthritis, chronic pain, and other ailments, all of which can alter sleep patterns. Talk to your doctor regarding that.
After retirement you have less work to do. You feel relaxed and have few responsibilities and duties to perform. So less activity and exercise can be cause of disturbed sleep.
BURDEN AND STRESS:
With growing age you start to worry a lot about things and people who are not in your control. Your brain is always busy thinking about things which have no relation with present things. This could also leads to sleepless nights.
SLEEPING DURING DAY TIME:
This is another reason. Older people usually take naps during day time, and less physical work of body don’t make you feel tired and sleepy.
SOME USEFUL TIPS TO FALL ASLEEP:
- CONSULT DOCTOR: If Sleepless nights due to health ailments like arthritis, chronic pain, and other ailments then you can talk to your doctor. Getting treatment will help you get sound sleep.
- STOP WORRYING: When things and people are not in your control than worrying for them is exercise in futile. One way to stop thinking and worrying at night is to write all your heart out on paper and find all the possible solutions to your problem during day time. This will help you sleep in peace. Try practicing meditation and yoga that will help you have relaxed mind.
- AVOID NAPPING: Avoid sleeping during day time. Try involving yourself in some activities and hobbies that give you happiness or indulge in family.
- EXERCISE 4 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME: Exercise is good only when done at right time. Exercise at least 4 hours before going to bed that will help you sleep.
- DON’T LIE IN BED AWAKE: When not able to sleep, don’t lie in bed. Get out and start doing most boring things like reading novel or cleaning our house until you fall sleepy.
- MAKE SURE YOUR BED IS FOR SLEEPING ONLY: Use your bed only for sleeping only not for eating, reading and watching television otherwise your mind will associate your bed to others things than sleeping.
- AVOID CAFFEINE AND ALCOHOL: Caffeine and alcohol can interfere with your sleep. Should avoid them after afternoon.