Drinking clean and purified water is essential for healthy living, but many are deprived of this privilege. The main source of polluted fresh water can be attributed to discharging untreated industrial waste in rivers and lakes, run off from agricultural fields, poor management and over exploitation of fresh water resources. Water purifiers have become a necessity. If someone asks you is your drinking water pure? You reply, you have a purifier at home. But do consider these questions before answering.
- Does your purifier deliver 100% purity?
- Are you using correct purifier at home?
- Does it remove all soluble and insoluble impurities?
- Is your family free from all water infections and diseases?
If any doubt regarding these answers, then definitely read this article.
VARIOUS TYPES OF IMPURITIES IN DRINKING WATER:
- Physical Impurities that can settle down like sand, dust particles, pollutants.
- Bad odor and color of water.
- TDS (Total Dissolved solids): Dissolved harmful salts like potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium etc.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOILED WATER AND FILTERED WATER?
- Earlier boiling water was sole method for purification; it involved heating water to its boiling point i.e. 100 degree centigrade, and then allows it to cool down.
- Boiling only kills g bacteria, viruses, protozoans, parasites, pathogens, etc., while ensuring that water retains the minerals dissolved in it.
- It fails to get rid of any metals, nitrates or chemicals, such as lead, mercury, asbestos, pesticides, solvents, etc., which may have contaminated the water.
TYPES OF WATER PURIFIERS AVAILABLE:
There are many types and variety of water purifiers available in market that confuses customers. Here we will help you choose the best that suit your requirements. There are 3 types of purifier based on their purification method.
1. RO PURIFIER:
If you are living in area where there is hard water and TDS level is 200 to below 2000 ppm. Then you must definitely opt for RO. It is based on Reverse Osmosis process. Very hard water i.e. water that contain dissolved salts, pollutants, bacteria, harmful metals and minerals can be removed with help of filtering membrane. The holes in membrane are too small that blocks all bacteria.
2. UV PURIFIERS:
This purifier is based on use of ultra violet radiations. The micro organism like viruses and bacteria are killed using UV rays but is unable to flush out their dead remains from water. It is efficient for water having TDS level 200 or below. It does not removed dissolved salts and does not work well with very hard water. It is not suggested to storage it for long time before consumption.
3. UF PURIFIERS:
It is ultra filtration. It uses filtration membrane that filters the pollutants but is unable to removed dissolved salts. It also does not work well when tap water is hard. The TDS level must be very low.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RO, UV& UF PURIFIER
|1. Kills and remove bacteria, microbes & viruses.||Kills bacteria , microbes & viruses but do not remove their dead bodies||Kills and remove bacteria , microbes & viruses|
|2.Need electricity||Need electricity||No need of electricity|
|3. Removed dissolved salts and minerals||Don’t remove dissolved salts and minerals. Need extra filter.||Don’t remove dissolved salts.
|4. Can clean even dirty water||Cannot clean dirty water||Works Only on tap water that is not hard.|
FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED BEFORE BUYING PURIFIER
Now you know the basic difference between RO, UV & UF purifier, you must also consider these additional factors before buying purifiers for you. Drinking safe water is very important for you and your family.
1. FIRSTLY GET YOUR LOCALITY WATER TESTED:
It is basic first step to be done before buying any purifier. TDS meter is easily available in market with affordable prices that can help you get knowledge about TDS level of your tap water and water after purification. If your tap water has high content of magnesium, fluorides and calcium salts dissolved then you must definitely buy RO purifiers. As it is capable of removing dissolved salts. If the tap water is dirty and have high pollutants then you can opt for RO+UV filtration, that gives the best results And if your water supply is not very hard water then you can easily opt for UV or UF.
2. STORAGE CAPACITY:
Before buying one must consider its storage capacity according to your family requirement.
3. IS YOUR PURIFIER BRAND RELIABLE:
In market many variety and brands of purifiers are available, but make sure before buying you must review its brand quality by reading reviews and feedback. Do not compromise on low cost but safe drinking water means healthy and disease free future for family.