Technology is meant for helping us and making our life simpler. But unfortunately, our children are getting addicted to it in an unhealthy way. Most of the children start to wear power glasses at a very early age or have poor eyesight due to over use of mobile phones, television or computer screens. Some of the common issues among children are:
- Frequently rubbing eyes
- Poor focusing power
- Dry eyes
- Sitting too close to TV
- Tearing of eyes
Eyes are the most sensitive and important part of our body. So, as parents it is your duty to make efforts to help our children improve their vision. It could be achieved by following proper nutrition, adequate exercise and developing healthy habits.
In order to improve the eyesight, one must give his child food containing all nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Five foods that are must for good eyesight are:
Green leafy vegetables:
These contains vitamin A, vitamin C and many other vital nutrients. Broccoli, kale and spinach are best at improving eyesight. Care must be taken that green vegetables are not be over cooked; they are most beneficial if eaten raw.
Nuts & Seeds:
Walnut, almonds, cashews and peanuts are a good source of vitamin E and fatty acids. They are helpful in preventing dry eyes problem.
Eggs are rich in vitamin A and protein and are good for child’s growth and keeping eyesight problems at bay.
Fruits are essential for good vision and must be given daily to the children. Guava, lemon, oranges are good source of vitamin c. Strawberries are best for fighting infections.
Whole wheat and brown rice are good source of zinc. Avoid giving white carbohydrates like pasta, plain white rice or white bread to your children.
Engaging your child in exercise really helps. Encourage your child to practice these eye exercises regularly:
- Move the eye balls upwards and then downward. Repeat this exercise for 10 times.
- Move the eyeballs in all random directions. This will be a fun exercise.
- Try to concentrate on one point for 1 min or more. This will improve their focusing power.
- Blinking the eyes more frequently keeps the eyeballs moist.
- Massage around the eye area will make them feel comfortable and release stress.
Prevention is always better than cure. Follow these healthy habits for healthy eyes:
- Don’t allow children to use mobile phones or watch television for long time.
- Encourage outdoor playing.
- Avoid junk food and prepare them nutritional food.
- Make sure they take proper sleep and rest. Relaxing is very important for eyes.